Thursday, June 28, 2001


today someone asked why i take private yoga lessons and do i think they make a difference. they clearly have made a difference for me. . .

personally, i just want to deepen my yoga practice in an open-minded way. looking at the news is giving me some insight into yoga, i think. most of the people who doing yoga now are naturally interested in the "chicness" of it. and they hear it's good exercise. so they expect certain things, i guess: to get great arms, or "a tight butt."

recently i realized that i don't think like that anymore. i just kind of show up and do the yoga with a kind of disinterested attention. something may happen, something may not. maybe today i will be able to do headstand, maybe not. i know it sounds flaky but i think this attitude helps. for example, yesterday. after i was done with my yoga, and into the final "om," i noticed my very tight right hip (and therefore knee) had dropped noticeably closer to the floor while sitting in easy cross legged pose. and i said to my teacher, "hmm, i think something's happening there."

so this attitude may be helpful at this current baby stage in my little yoga thing. or maybe not. what do you think? what is the best yoga attitude, in your opinion?

posted by fortune | 11:37 AM | top | link to this | email this: | | | 0 comments