Monday, September 10, 2001


today i'm struggling with the recommendations of my yoga teachers. . .to abandon beginner's classes.

of course, i still feel like a beginner. a huge list of poses i can't do immediately leaps to my mind. such as, can't do headstand away from the wall. . .can't do lotus. . . this is what keeps me in beginner classes.

open classes have some more challenging poses -- arm balances for example. i practice a couple of them regularly at home by myself. the open classes don't terrify me -- i find the only real difference is the speed through which the class moves in surya namaskar. at least that's the case with the open classes at yoga people.

perhaps at jivamukti or om it's different. open classes tend to be later in the evening, which is harder for me to get to. and there are fewer of them, so they are more crowded. but i guess in a couple of weeks i will see how i can start fitting more open classes into my schedule. . .

and this is the question i'm posing for myself -- if others don't tell you, how do you know when you're really ready for the more advanced yoga?

posted by fortune | 11:27 AM | top | link to this | email this: | | | 0 comments