Thursday, April 18, 2002


''i'm the luckiest guy in the world. i get to go to work and make candy.''

would that we could all say the same as pastry chef daniel budd. and there's no doubt that baking and chocolate work are the two fastest growing areas of the fine food sector as so many americans -- like you! dear reader -- finally are learning to appreciate bread and dessert.

but before you rush over to begin your bright future in the hospitality sector, let me remind you that hours are long, and the pay is low, for many years. everytime i think to myself "i hate my life! for just $5,400 i could go enroll in the french culinary institute's bread program!" i have to take a deep breath and ask myself if i really want to get up at 4am and go to bed at midnight every day for the rest of my life. . .and make only $28,000 a year. . .

the answer of course is no -- suddenly i remember everything i adore about my day-moday aeron chair. . . .and instead i take a nice long yoga class. . .

posted by fortune | 5:22 PM | top | link to this | email this: | | | 0 comments