Sunday, June 23, 2002


completely dorky or total perfection?

long-time readers know that i have hair long enough to nearly sit on. while usually a social asset, it does cause problems in one my favorite activities: yoga.

how to keep it out of my face and up during vigorous sun salutes? a bun works. but then, when the poses hit the floor and you have stretch out on your back to set up for full wheel, i waste time taking the bun down. the resulting pony tail let my head stay flat on the floor with a straight spine, but i ended up pulling my own hair when i slid my feet over my head for plow.

what is the perfect long-hair yoga hairstyle? 1 long braid suffers the drawbacks of a ponytail. 2 side braids dangle all around and whip about in sun salutes. 2 braids wrapped around your head like the sound of music work until it's time for headstand. readers, this seems like a laughably small thing, but it was driving me nuts every day. . .

finally a really cool yogini from laughing lotus gave me the answer, although it took me several weeks to actually gather the courage to leave my house wearing it: the princess leia.

i kid you not. although mr. right couldn't help hooting "help me obi-wan; you're my only hope!" as i dashed out the door this evening, i must say it's true. the princess leia is the ultimate hairstyle for the yogini on the go. highly recommended, if you can endure the giggles on the street.

how to do it at home, yoginis? this hairstyle can actually be seen in english art of the 14th century; ladies in illuminated manuscripts often sport it. check out more beautiful braids for detailed instructions. . .

posted by fortune | 6:26 PM | top | link to this | email this: | | | 0 comments