Sunday, July 21, 2002


back to yoga

long-time readers may remember that a few weeks ago i tweaked my hamstring in a fancy yoga pose. and that i dumbly went on with my usual practice, while my right leg became more and more stiff.

finally i listened to reason and took a break, cutting down to just one or two gentle viniyoga classes a week. today i went back to one of my regular open classes. i was terrified that i would have lost much of my flexibility. while my hamstring still isn't all there, i was so pleased to discover that i hadn't lost any strength or ability. and it was just a great relief.

this is one of the real benefits of yoga -- it helps you develop patience. i found that i didn't have to keep pushing myself for no benefit. i didn't have to be anxious, to obsess; i could simply step back for a bit to be where i was. and enjoy that.

but today i even managed a straight-legged forward fold with my nose between my knees. the secret? putting my feet in a severe pigeon-toed position, really pressing the big toes together with the heels wide apart. this allowed me to bend to my legs, straighten my back and my legs, but take the pressure off the hamstring. it might also help to sit on a blanket. these little modifications help me get on with my practice in a gentle way while my hamstring comes back to full strength. . .

it's a great tip if you're ever in my situation, one given me by australian iyengar teacher renata smenda. she teaches at yoga people in brooklyn and around town. check her out!

posted by fortune | 7:28 PM | top | link to this | email this: | | | 0 comments